- “TIGER Power: Anglo-French Tidal Energy Ramps Up In The Channel” • With an investment of €45.4 million ($51 million), the Tidal Stream Industry Energiser Project, also called TIGER, is one of the biggest studies of tidal energy in Europe. TIGER is planning to install 8.8 MW of tidal capacity in six locations across the Channel region. [Power Technology]
- “Illinois Utility Plans To Close Largest Coal-Fired Generator” • The Southern Illinois Power Cooperative plans to shutter its largest coal-fired generator this fall, which is expected to save it $125 million over a decade but cost 26 workers their jobs. The tentative decision to close its plant in Marion was based on more competitive energy prices. [CIProud.com]
- “Enel Wants Quick Coal Exit And Its Hydrogen Will Be 100% Green, Exec Says” • Italian energy giant Enel SpA is speeding plans to decarbonize its global power production, exit coal, and make way for more wind, solar. and a hydrogen venture, by 2021 at the latest. Enel expects to have a green hydrogen production facility within one year. [Renewables Now]
- “New Mexico Utility To Allow Nuclear Leases To Expire” • A New Mexico utility will exit current leases for nuclear power and will instead develop renewable power by 2040, Kallanish Energy reports. PNM said it will allow leases for 114 MW of electric power from the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station in Arizona to expire. [Kallanish Energy]
- “Your Invitation To US Offshore Wind 2020 – A Free Virtual Conference By Reuters Events” • In preparation for US offshore wind project development and supply chain partnering, Reuters Events™ would like to invite all global offshore wind stakeholders to attend the FREE US Offshore Wind 2020 Virtual Conference (June 18-19). [Renewables Now]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.