- “Deepest Ever Dive Finds Plastic Bag At Bottom Of Mariana Trench” • An American undersea explorer, Victor Vescovo, has completed what is claimed to be the deepest manned sea dive ever recorded, 10,927 meters (35,853 feet). He returning to the surface with the depressing news that there’s plastic trash down there. [CNN]
- “Scientists Say They Have Created An Environmentally Friendly Alternative To Styrofoam” • From an environmental perspective, styrofoam is a disaster. Scientists at Washington State University say they have developed an environmentally friendly material derived from plants that works better than Styrofoam for insulation. [CleanTechnica]
- “Cement Giant Heidelberg Pledges Carbon Neutral Concrete By 2050” • The world’s fourth largest cement manufacturing company, Heidelberg Cement, pledged to bring its emission reduction targets in line with the goals of the Paris Agreement, in a first for the industry. The cement sector accounts for around 7% of CO₂ emissions. [Climate Home]
- “‘Step-Change’ In Energy Investment Needed To Meet Climate Goals: IEA” • The world must double spending on renewable power and slash investment in oil and coal by 2030 to keep the Paris climate treaty temperature targets in play, the International Energy Agency said. That would mean reversing the energy trends of 2018. [Phys.Org]
- “‘No Middle Ground’: Ocasio-Cortez And Activists Take Aim At Biden At Green New Deal Rally” • Sen Bernie Sanders and Rep Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez made the case for radical action to combat climate change at a rally in Washington. “There is no ‘middle ground’ when it comes to climate policy,” Sanders tweeted. [KRTV Great Falls News]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.